Friday, April 1, 2011

Do you have any regrets?

What is a regret? According to Dictionary.com - a regret is to feel sorrow or remorse for an act (verb) or a sense of loss, disappointment, or dissatisfaction(noun).

I was watching Dr. Phil today and he had guests on the show who felt intense regret. As I watched the show, I thought, Do I have any regrets? And I can honestly say the answer is no. Well, now you are probably thinking she is lying or delusional. Everyone has things that they have done that they feel remorse for. Everyone has experienced loss and disappointment. Well, yes I have felt those things in the past. In fact, In my early 20's I felt intense regret over lots of things. I wished that I could go back and change many things in my past and felt anger and sadness over those things. But in time I learned that no matter how much I wanted to change the past, I could not. I learned that holding onto the anger and sadness was not helping anyone including myself. I realized that those experiences taught me lessons. I realized that those experiences allowed me to have people in my life that I love. I would not change that for anything. And if I hadn't made those mistakes or felt those disappointments, I would not be the same person that I am today. It took me a long time to learn that lesson, but I am so glad I did. I would not change one thing in my life. I continue to struggle with things, but the struggle is teaching me so much and making me a better person. This is all any of us can ask for.

There is a quote that I heard on the Oprah Show years ago that says it all. Forgiveness is giving up the hope that the past can be any different and moving on with your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment